|"Fat burning foods are natural plant foods," says Shawn.
Q: I’ve heard there are foods that could help burn fat? If so, can you give any suggestions on what types of foods?
-B, Babcock, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
A: Yes, there are foods that can aid your body in fighting stored fat when you eat them. While fat burning foods may sound like a miracle, they’re not a catch all solution for weight loss. Like everything in life, you must eat in moderation. So plan your calorie intake accordingly while you eat some fat burning foods and exercise on a regular basis.
Fat burning foods are foods that burn more calories than the calorie content of the food itself, thereby fighting stored fat. The secret to losing weight is to eat and drink the right kinds of foods until you are satisfied (portion control). If you skip meals and food, it will slow your metabolism and your health will deteriorate. There are certain foods which actually burn more fat than the calorie content of the food itself. These fat burning foods are natural plant foods. If you eat these fat burning foods and do some exercise, it will boost your metabolism and burn more calories (fat) at a faster rate for several hours even after exercise.
List of Foods that help burn fat:
- Fruits rich in vitamin C (Citrus Fruits): limes, lemons, oranges, guava, grapefruit, papaya, sweet lime, tangerines and tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C and fiber and have fat burning properties. Vitamin C helps the body process fat faster and also stimulates the carnitine amino acid which speeds up the body’s fat-burning capacity.Vitamin C dilutes the fat and makes it less effective and helps in releasing the fat from the body.
- Apples: Pectin in apples restricts the cells to absorb the fat; and also encourages water absorption from the food which helps in releasing the fat deposits from the body.
- Calcium Rich Dairy Products: Calcium in dairy products like milk, cheese and yogurt act as fat burner that can boost weight loss by increasing fat breakdown in fat cells. According to Professor Michael Zemel at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, (Obesity Research, April 2004; vol 12; pp 582-590.) a dairy-rich diet with same calorie restriction can nearly double the rate of weight and fat loss. His research has shown that eating 3-4 servings of dairy products a day is more effective at enhancing weight loss efforts than calcium supplementation alone. Dairy products may therefore be termed as fat burning foods or fat burners. The researchers found overweight people who consumed 3 servings a day of calcium-rich dairy lost more belly fat than those who followed a similar diet minus two or more of the dairy servings. The calcium supplements didn't work as well as milk.
- Nuts help you feel full while also increasing the body's ability to burn fat.
- Chilies: Foods containing chilies or cayenne pepper are considered to be as foods that burn fat. Chilies contain capsaicin that helps in increasing the metabolism. Capsaicin is a thermogenic food, so it causes the body to burn extra calories for 20 minutes after you eat the chilies.
- Proteins: Protein rich foods and high fiber foods are the best as foods burning belly fat. Protein needs more energy to digest than fat so eat low calorie dairy products, beans, whole grains, oatmeal, eggs, etc. as much as possible. Lentils are high in protein and soluble fiber, two nutrients that stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Green Tea or Coffee. Caffeine helps speed up your heart rate. The faster your heart beats, the more calories you burn. EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) is one of the most beneficial polyphenol components in green tea and is a powerful antioxidant that also has thermogenic properties, which helps increase metabolic activity. EGCG works in a similar way to caffeine, but instead of revving up your heart, it causes your brain and nervous system to run more quickly, again helping you burn more calories. In studies, researchers found that a combination of caffeine and a 90-mg dose of EGCG taken three times a day can help you burn an extra 80 calories a day. And that’s just when your body’s at rest. And as an extra bonus, both of these are naturally calorie free, making all of that extra burn pure profit in dietary terms.
- Some of the other foods that may be included in the list of fat burning foods are asparagus, beet root, broccoli, cabbage, carrot, beans, soybeans, sweet potatoes, blueberries and watermelon.
Bottom line: In order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume (calories in calories out). This can be done by eating fat fighting foods and doing some physical activity. This will help your body burn up the excessive stored fat.
949.292.1799 | 30555 Trabuco Canyon Rd. # 101, Trabuco Canyon, CA www.ShawnsStudioFitness.com