|Losing body fat before losing love handles is a must.
Q: What kind of exercises can I do to target my love handles and get rid of them once and for all?
- D. Jackson, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
A: This answer is the same one I have for any spot-reducing question. Bottom line is you cannot spot-reduce! Both stomach bulge and love handles are about excess body fat, not lack of muscle. You can do hundreds of crunches everyday toning the muscle however it will be difficult to see underneath all the body fat. Crunches and ab exercises are therefore not the solution. The best way to reduce these problem areas is to reduce your overall body fat percentage, which requires diet and exercise.
For love handles, try this exercise in conjunction with diet, sodium reduction, exercise and 80 ounces of water a day:
Side Plank With a Twist:
This is an excellent core exercise that targets the shoulders, obliques, glutes (buttocks) and quadriceps. For the beginner you can perform this exercise with your elbow and forearm on the floor and progress up to performing the advanced version on your hand.
• Lie on you left side with hand (or elbow) on floor under shoulder, hips stacked.
• Push hips up, forming a straight line from head to heels; extend right arm above shoulder.
• Bring right arm under body, rotating upper body to the left.
• Hold for 1 count; return to start.
• Advanced do 12-15 repetitions; switch sides and repeat.
• Beginner start with 6-10 repetitions and work up to advanced.
No responsibility or liability is accepted by Shawn Ferrando Studio Fitness for any loss or damage suffered by any person as a result of adopting the exercises and information in this material.
949.292.1799 | 30555 Trabuco Canyon Rd. # 101, Trabuco Canyon, CA | www.ShawnsStudioFitness.com